Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Overnight Diapers part 1

So, we have been cloth diapering for about a year now and mostly have everything figured out. Nighttime is a different animal. Miss Roo typically sleeps 10-12 hours and is a heavy wetter. I have tried a pocket diaper stuffed with a microfiber insert and a trifolded hemp insert with no luck. I had finally resorted to a Rainforest babies hemp prefold with a Ozy Cozy toddler sized prefold wrapped around it with a cover over the top. This does work, but its so freaking bulky that I hated to put it on the princess too much before bed. I have been on the lookout for another solution.

I came across Spot's Corner, which is a place for mamas to sell their gently used diapers to other mamas. There were tons! I went a little crazy and became totally obsessed. I really only bought 4, so its not as bad as it sounds. I bought 3 Goodmama fitteds and one Sustainablebabyish or Sbish OBV snapless fitted. I soaked them overnight in Rockin' Green and washed them, anxious to see if one of these would be our new nighttime solution. As soon as they were dry, which seemed to take a lot longer than my pocket inserts or hemp, I put Miss Roo to bed in a Goodmama fitted with a Wonderwrap over the top. Then off to bed we went. The next morning--DRY. Oh my gosh. I opened up that cover and the fitted was completely soaked, but her jammies were dry. Okay, I thought, we will try it again and see if maybe this was just a fluke. So last night, we tried it again. A Goodmama fitted with a Wonderwrap cover over the top. And she drank a ton before bed. I thought there was no way she would be dry this morning. But she was!! Again the diaper was soaked, but nothing else was. I have 3 of these now and they may be our solution.

I do have a couple of things I don't really like about them. First off, they need a cover. Miss Roo doesn' t understand that her pretty diaper has to be covered, so its a bit of a fight every night. Second, the rise isn't very high and since Roo is so tall, they don't fit real great. But, they do snap and she doesn't seem uncomfortable or in pain from them. Third, and finally, they do take a lot longer to dry. I guess its cause all the layers, but also the snap in soakers take forever. At least 2 cycles in the dryer, and sometimes have to hang the rest of the way dry. Really, this isn't a problem, since I have 3 but it kind of annoys me.

I have tried my Sbish fitted for one night, but I don't think I have given it a fair shot yet, so I am going to hold off reviewing it until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment