Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Home Grown Families

So, I was checking my Facebook stuff earlier, and came across a post by Home Grown Families. I have been following this blog for a while, and its always very interesting and informative. They recently got a new contributor, which I hadn't read much from yet. Today's post is amazing. Its about how women treat other women. It really got me to thinking about how we are to each other. Women are mean. We are mean to each other. We judge each other. We pick on each other. We tear each other down. Why? To make ourselves feel better? I just don't understand that.

A little history now. Previous to my current job, I worked at a place for almost 4 years. It was a place that was occupied 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 a year. Shift work. For 3 of my 4 years, I was on midnight shift. It was generally fine. We were all too tired to cause problems with each other. Then, after Roo was born, I moved to a day shift position. Que in the problems. All the women who worked day shift were so worried about getting ahead, looking good, and whatever else, they tried to get others in trouble. Wow. I went from never being in trouble, to it being an everyday occurance. Granted, I was burnt out. But, I really think it had more to do with who I was working with than the job. I loved the job. But the people caused me to come home daily crying. I am not a crier. I am strong. I am smart. But they did it. Especially one woman. I honestly feel like she was indimidated by me and so she wanted me out. It worked. I finished my shift, and sent her an email and walked out. I hate myself for that, but really couldn't see another way.

But this is what happens with women. Why must we be so nasty to each other? If we would just support each other, and help each other, wouldn't things be better? I think so. I have been trying my best to change how I talk to other women. I make sure to tell other women they look nice. Did you loose weight? Your hair looks great. Offer to help them. Whatever I can do. I hope that other women will catch a hint and treat me the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment